Chris Cree wrote up for Search Engine Journal a list of the Top 10 WordPress Plugins for 2012 . I always look at such list with an eye of what can I use or learn from it. This was a rather mixed bag.
I will start using these:
- W3 Total Cache – making your website load more quickly
- Cookies for Comments – can stop spam comments generated by machines even before they hit your server.
- nRelate – show visitors other content they might be interested in
I already use:
- WordPress SEO – best SEO package
- NextGen Gallery – great photo gallery tool, although version 3.5 of WordPress suffices basic gallery needs.
I may use when the need arises:
- Defensio – advanced spam, malicious content and profanity filtering web service (I use Akismet for my grandfathered in older sites, but for newer ones it would cost $5/month. Defensio is free for small business)
- The Events Calendar – I currently don’t own or manage a site that needs a calendar, but good to keep this in mind.
- Gravity Forms – creating web forms with advanced options.
I probably won’t use these: